The Goodreads Giveaway has long been used by indie authors and small publishers to build reviews for their books by giving away free copies of their paperback editions. Goodreads did not charge for this but beginning January 9, 2018 they are implementing a 2-tier pricing structure along with a few other changes.
Summary of changes
- Kindle eBooks are now eligible for giveaways if published on KDP (you cannot use aggregator services such as Draft2Digital and Bookbaby)
- Entrants must be U.S. residents
- Standard Giveaway, per format: $119
- Premium Giveaway, per format: $599
- Giveaway up to 100 copies
- Save 50% if ordered between 1/9/18 and 1/31/18
This is obviously something that will negatively impact self-publishers, requiring us to pay for something we used to get for free. On the other hand, there are some that complain that the program has lost its effectiveness because giveaway winners simply don’t follow-through with writing reviews. Perhaps this will address that.
A second major change is that Goodreads has expanded the Giveaway program for Kindle eBooks to self-publishers using KDP. This has been available to larger publishers during a beta program that was announced in May of 2016. The cost of that program was $119, so no change in pricing.
Note that the regular giveaway program is in effect until January 9, 2018 so if you have a paperback, now is the time to list it. Also, pricing is half off until January 31, 2018.
Standard Giveaway (Print or Kindle ebook format) $119 per giveaway
- Everyone who enters your giveaway automatically adds the book to their Want-to-Read list. This results in your book being promoted to your friends’ updates feeds.
- Your followers and anyone who has already added the book to their Want-to-Read list get a notification, letting them know there’s a giveaway starting.
- About eight weeks after your Giveaway ends, winners receive an email from Goodreads to remind them to rate and review your book.
- Giveaways are featured in the Giveaways section of Goodreads.com,
Premium Giveaway (Print or Kindle) $599 per giveaway
- Premium Giveaways include all the benefits of the Standard package.
- Premium placement on Goodreads’ Giveaways page.
We are interested in your feedback, especially if you participate in one of these two new programs. Add your experiences in the comments below.